The African Union and the United States reaffirm their shared dedication to noticing African food items safety by setting up a strategic partnership to guide and accelerate their operate.
This strategic framework will reference and develop on existing bilateral, regional, multilateral, non-governmental, and philanthropic efforts to advance food stuff security and will leverage the community and personal sectors to address immediate and acute food items and fertilizer wants in the brief-term– including by addressing food provides that have been disrupted – and promote transformational investments in medium-to prolonged- term sustainable and resilient food stuff methods.
We seek to make concrete development on the quick-term plans and to create a plan of action for the extended-term plans by the African Union’s Summit in February 2023.
An Urgent Imperative
The compounding affect of the global pandemic, the local climate crisis, substantial strength and fertilizer prices, as properly as protracted conflicts, like Russia’s war in Ukraine, have spurred U.S. and African leaders to refocus and scale community and personal sector investments to assist address the root results in of the food stuff disaster that has had a disproportionate effect on African nations.
We realize the crucial importance of strengthening, preserving, and accelerating development toward acquiring African food stability to empower African international locations to trade far more and improve connectivity to significant agricultural markets. We also acknowledge the important great importance of agriculture as a supply of thousands and thousands of work opportunities and livelihoods throughout the continent, together with amid youth and females. We further more note the massive untapped likely the continent signifies, dwelling to more than 60 percent of the world’s unused arable farmland, and the opportunity that signifies in phrases of Africa’s part in addressing international food stuff insecurity. By means of this strategic partnership, we intend to benefit from all diplomatic, multilateral, specialized, and financial equipment to build more powerful and diversified food methods and supply chains, to scale Africa’s agricultural creation ability and to devote in more resilient agricultural sectors.
We reaffirm the commitments of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Progress Software (CAADP), the Malabo Declaration and its Simply call to Action, and the World Food items Security Summit held on the margins of the United Nations Basic Assembly, for emergency aid as properly as medium- to very long-phrase investments for resilient food stuff techniques to tackle persistent food stuff insecurity as very well as the priority actions outlined in the Global Economic Establishments (IFI) Action Approach to Tackle Food items Insecurity and the African Advancement Bank’s African Unexpected emergency Food stuff Generation Plan. We also notice the Dakar Intercontinental Meeting on Agriculture to be co-hosted by the Govt of Senegal and AfDB on January 25-27, 2023.
We also identify the significance of intensifying efforts linked to local climate adaptation, soil overall health and fertility, and the widespread use of improved agricultural inputs.
U.S.-Africa Foods Stability Framework
To meet up with these objectives, this U.S.-Africa strategic partnership will deal with both equally quick-time period and extended-expression priorities. The United States is fully commited to leveraging its one of a kind convening electric power to bring jointly the personal sector and intercontinental financial institutions to deal with underinvestment and to identify and take away road blocks that impede Africa’s entire participation in global food and fertilizer supply chains and marketplaces. In switch, the African Union will politically commit that taking part AU associates will tackle and eliminate road blocks that impede agriculture-centered investments.
In the shorter-phrase:
- Discover indicates for Africa to safe more assorted and resilient resources of grain and fertilizer source – in the pretty in the vicinity of expression and on a business basis – to meet up with its speedy needs.
- Where by there is an acute want for humanitarian guidance, we will work together to offer rapid daily life-preserving aid, which include money, foods and nutrition supplies—including the place achievable, by sourcing from the continent—to avoid famine or malnutrition, though helping to put together for upcoming shocks and pilot resilient investments.
In the medium- and long-term, the United States and Africa will exert management to handle chronic underinvestment and plan shortcomings with respect to agriculture and food programs, in concert with other willing partners to:
- Check out strategies to enhance Africa’s access to worldwide marketplaces for agricultural commodities.
- Highlight the value of African governments carrying out the plan reforms required to attain foods stability, notably by strengthening land accessibility, maximizing the organization environment, promoting open up trade, and strengthening excellent governance.
- Recognize and market possibilities for transformative medium- to long-term investments from governments, the non-public sector – which include the U.S. private sector, and multilateral progress banking institutions to bolster the weather-resilience of agriculture and foodstuff units, boost efficiency, and enhance sustainability.
- Increase the trusted and sustainable access to fertilizers and their inputs, with a concentrate on weather-wise options, soil management and fertilizer performance tactics, to reduce shortages, cut down dependency on solitary-source fertilizer producers, aid maximize competitors amid fertilizer producers, and enable enhance crop yields in vulnerable African food marketplaces.
- Concentrate on diversifying the creation of agricultural commodities, including core commodities and standard crops. This includes strengthening the physical and electronic infrastructure and logistical provide chains to produce fertilizers and mature foodstuff and to cultivate, store and transportation meals effectively. In addition, this effort will seek to increase transportation of food within regional food markets to bolster inter-regional trade and decrease solitary supplier dependency of African meals systems.
- Endorse effective agricultural output procedures, approaches, and study and growth throughout the total agricultural ecosystem, such as better obtain to revolutionary financial applications.