If you are on a journey to shed off those extra kilos, it is vital you make sustainable and well-informed lifestyle changes that you can keep up with rather than following crash diets that, often, end up doing more harm than good. Portion control, eating clean, regularly exercising, and maintaining good sleep hygiene are some simple things that can assist in your weight loss journey. So, to help you make the right choices, today we shall discuss the food items that can help you lose weight and must be added to your diet, among other important things to take note of.
Food items that can help you reduce weight
According to Rutu Dhodapkar, dietetics team, P D Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Khar the following foods can aid weight loss:
1. High-fiber foods: Fiber-rich foods, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes, induce satiety and help regulate appetite by prolonging digestion. They are also lower in calories.
2. Protein-rich foods: Protein is necessary for tissue development and repair, and it can help induce a sensation of fullness. Reducing overall calorie intake, including lean meats, fish, poultry, eggs, legumes, and dairy products in the diet can help with weight loss.
3. Low-energy density foods: Low-energy density foods, such as fruits and vegetables, broth-based soups, and non-starchy vegetables, deliver less calories per gram, making it easier to maintain a calorie deficit while feeling satiated.
4. Thermogenic foods: Chilli peppers, green tea, and coffee all have compounds that can enhance metabolism and increase calorie burn. While the effect may be minor, including these foods in your diet can help you lose weight.
What are the best food items for weight loss and why?
Certain food items can aid in weight loss by providing satiety, boosting metabolism, reducing cravings, and supporting overall health. Guru Prasad Das, Senior Dietitian, CARE Hospitals, Bhubaneswar, shared them with indianexpress.com as:
1. Leafy greens: Vegetables like spinach, kale, and Swiss chard are low in calories and high in fiber, making them filling without adding many calories. They are also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
2. Whole grains: Foods like quinoa, brown rice, and oats are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates. They provide sustained energy and promote feelings of fullness.
3. Lean proteins: Foods like chicken breast, turkey, tofu, fish, and Greek yogurt are high in protein, which helps increase satiety and preserve muscle mass during weight loss.
4. Legumes: Beans, lentils, and chickpeas are high in fiber and protein, keeping you full for longer. They also provide important nutrients and can be a good alternative to high-calorie ingredients.
5. Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are low in calories and high in fiber and antioxidants. They provide natural sweetness and can satisfy cravings for sweets.
6. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and flaxseeds are high in healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They can provide a sense of fullness and add crunch to meals.
7. Healthy fats: Avocados, olive oil, and fatty fish (like salmon) contain healthy fats that promote satiety and provide essential nutrients.
8. Low-fat dairy products: Skim milk, low-fat yoghurt, and cottage cheese are high in protein and calcium, which can support weight loss and overall health.
Six vegetarian foods to consume when trying to lose weight
Nutritionist Lovneet Batra took to Instagram to share six vegetarian food items to add to your diet when trying to reduce weight. They are:
1. Moong Dal. Moong Dal is high on protein and fibre. As such, eating moong leads to an increase in the satiety hormone called cholecystokinin, which helps you stay full for longer. The thermic effect of protein in dal makes it a superfood for reducing belly fat.
2. Buttermilk. Buttermilk, being a low-calorie beverage, may aid in weight loss. Additionally, it aids in promoting satiety and reducing appetite.
3. Chia seeds. Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which may further support weight management
4. Ragi. Ragi is a rich source of methionine an essential amino acid that plays a vital role in elimination of excess fat
5. Amarnath. Amaranth is high in protein and fibre, both of which may help reduce appetite and increase weight loss.
6. Cauliflower. Cauliflower, like other vegetables, is high in fibre and contains a decent amount of protein. A combination of protein, fibre, and low-calorie content makes cauliflower the perfect foods to include in your meals if you want to lose weight.
Things to keep in mind
Das shared some things to keep in mind while embarking on a weight loss journey. They are:
1. Portion control: Even healthy foods can contribute to weight gain, if consumed in excess. Be mindful of portion sizes and listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues.
2. Caloric balance: To lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than you burn. Incorporate these weight-loss-friendly foods into a balanced diet and be aware of your overall calorie intake.
3. Balanced meals: Include a mix of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and carbohydrates in your meals to promote satiety and provide balanced nutrition.
4. Regular physical activity: While food choices are important, combining a healthy diet with regular exercise is crucial for weight loss and overall well-being.
5. Personalisation: Everyone’s nutritional needs and preferences are different. Consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian for personalsed advice and to create a tailored weight loss plan.